Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thursday's hot stove report

"I can take apart the remote control
And I can almost put it back together." -- from Flobots'
Handlebars.

The Cubs were defeated 4-3 by the Brewers in the rubber match of a three-game series on Thursday afternoon at Wrigley Field. This came a day after the Brewers were on the wrong end of a 19-5 debacle.


Somewhere in Chicago, there's a Cubs fan at a local sports bar downing his Budweiser and lamenting to anyone who will listen, "Why couldn't the Cubs have saved a couple of those runs last night for today?"

Do people seriously think teams can just simply hold on to some runs one day, and score those the next? A 19-run game is the happy confluence of bad pitching, timely hitting and likely some phsychological intangibles for both sides. Usually a 19-run game one day means pitching duel the next. That's just the way baseball works.

A college football playoff ... coming in 2015? At the earliest. :-(

But, there is some good news, two new bowls were approved for the 2008 season -- the St. Petersburg Bowl and the Congressional Bowl. Awesome! Somehow, the NCAA managed to regect something called the Rocky Mountain Bowl. Bummer ... if there's one thing college football needs more of, it's bowl games. Every team should get to go to a bowl game. Why not? Right? Right ...?

Once I hear the Flobots' song Handlebars, I can't get it out of my head. I'm really in trouble if I hear it in the morning.

Apparently, Handlebars has some sort of social/political message. All I can think about is the lyric "Me and my friend saw a platypus." Oh, and the Gobots, which were totally lame.

Call me crazy, but I'm legitimately excited for tonight's Red Bull New York-Toronto FC game (airing on ESPN2 at 4 p.m. PT). This will be my first glimpse of the crowd at Toronto's BMO Field, which is being touted as the closest to an European atmosphere as there is in Major League Soccer.

Also, I have Toronto's Laurent Robert on my MLS fantasy team, so I have that going for me.

No comments: